If you’re one of those bird enthusiasts who love getting up close and personal with your backyard feathered friends, you’ll want to check out hopper bird feeders.
These feeders are perfect for anyone who wants to watch and enjoy, as they allow you to get a good view of the birds feeding. They’re also a great choice for people who want to attract a variety of birds to their backyard, as they tend to be more versatile than other types of feeders.
Let’s learn more about these simple types of bird feeders!
By the way, if you click on a link and then make a purchase, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
- What Is a Hopper Bird Feeder?
- What Types of Birds Does a Hopper-type Feeder Attract?
- How Long Does It Take for Birds to Find a Hopper-style Feeder?
- What Are Some of the Benefits of Using a Hopper Bird Feeder?
- What Are Some of the Difficulties in Using a Hopper Bird Feeder?
- Best Hopper Bird Feeders
- Conclusion: Best hopper Bird Feeders
What Is a Hopper Bird Feeder?
Hopper bird feeders are simply feeders that have a large top that can be opened, where you can place and then refill the bird food. The food sits in a hopper or reservoir below the feeding area, and gravity pulls the food down to the birds as they eat. This type of feeder is very simple to use and tends to be one of the most popular types.
You’ll find that a hopper feeder most often has a roof on it to keep the seed covered and protected, which can result in it looking a little bit like a house.
The roof also helps to keep the seed dry, which is important since wet seed can quickly rot.
Some of the hopper bird feeders offer the option of both a suet feeder and hopper feeder. The varying sizes of hopper feeders can serve both large and small birds.
You’ll also find that hopper bird feeders have plexiglass sides that allow you to see how much seed is in the feeder at any given time, and they also offer multiple feeding ports.
How do hopper bird feeders work?
Hopper bird feeders work by utilizing gravity. The weight of the food in the hopper pulls it down to the birds as they eat. This type of feeder is very simple to use and is one of the most popular types.
What are hopper bird feeders made of?
Hopper bird feeders are typically made of a plastic or metal frame with clear plastic or plexiglass hopper. Sometimes wood material is used.
The roof is often made of metal, and the entire feeder is often powder-coated to help protect it from the elements.
What Types of Birds Does a Hopper-type Feeder Attract?
A hopper bird feeder can attract a variety of birds, including songbirds, finches, and even some larger birds, like cardinals and blue jays.
It depends on the size of your hopper-style feeder. If you have a small feeder (maximum of 3 pounds of seed), you could attract birds such as chickadees, titmice, and nuthatches.
If you have a larger feeder (around 6 pounds of seed), you could attract birds such as cardinals, blue jays, and woodpeckers.
How Long Does It Take for Birds to Find a Hopper-style Feeder?
It can take a little while for wild birds to find a new hopper-style feeder. If you place the feeder in an area where there are already other feeders, the birds will be more likely to find it.
How long it takes to attract these birds will vary depending on the time of year and your location, but most people find that they can start attracting many birds within a few weeks of putting up the feeder.
Where should a hopper bird feeder be placed?
A hopper bird feeder should be placed in a spot where you can easily see the birds while they’re feeding.
But, you also want to protect your feathered friends as well as the seed from squirrels and cats, as well as other predators.
Here are a couple of tips:
- keep the hopper bird feeder about 16 feet away from bushes and trees
- place the feeder about 5 feet in height to keep squirrels from jumping on it, yet still low enough to monitor, clean, and refill
When you find the best location, a bird feeder pole is a great option for hanging your hopper feeder.
What Are Some of the Benefits of Using a Hopper Bird Feeder?
There are a few benefits of using a hopper bird feeder, including:
- They’re easy to use – just fill the reservoir with seed and gravity does the rest!
- They’re perfect for attracting a variety of birds, including songbirds, finches, and larger birds.
- They’re typically very affordable.
- They’re easy to clean – just remove the top and dump out any leftover seed.
- They come in a variety of styles, so you can find one that fits your personality and backyard decor.
What Are Some of the Difficulties in Using a Hopper Bird Feeder?
There are a few potential down sides to using a hopper bird feeder, including:
- The seed can get wet and start to rot if it’s not kept dry. It needs to be replaced or fungus and bacteria can grow, which is detrimental to the birds.
- Hopper feeders can be a bit messy to clean
- Birds can roost on the top of the feeder, making a mess.
- Predators, like squirrels, raccoons, and other pesky animals are attracted to these types of feeders
Best Hopper Bird Feeders
Perky-Pet 8lb Squirrel-Be-Gone II Feeder Home with Chimney
You’ll love the Perky-Pet 8lb Squirrel-Be-Gone II Feeder Home with Chimney! Its all metal construction means it’s durable and weather resistant. The removable roof makes it easy to clean and fill, and the attractive rustic design will look great in your backyard.
Best of all, the weight-activated perches close down when a heavier animal lands on them (squirrels!), so you can rest easy knowing your seed is safe. Hang or pole-mount to fit your needs.
- Keep Squirrels Out - When squirrels try to access the feeder, the weight-activated perch is pulled down, blocking access to the feeding ports
- Durable Design - The metal is finished with a powder coating, adding to the rustic finish, and ensuring rust resistance for all-weather durability
- Easy to Clean and Fill - The removable lid and large opening make the feeder easy to fill and clean. The windows also allow you to monitor seed levels
- Versatile Placement - This feeder can be hung or pole mounted for versatile placement anywhere around your yard
- Large Capacity - Holds up to 8 lb of black-oil sunflower seed, mixed seed, hulled sunflower seed, or safflower seed
Twinkle Star Wild Bird Feeder, Hexagon Shaped with Gray Roof
You’ll love this hexagon-shaped bird feeder with a gray roof. It comes fully assembled and ready to hang, with clear side panels so you can watch the birds while they feed. The inclined roof protects the birds from the sun.
Plus, it’s weather-resistant so you can leave it out year-round knowing that it won’t be damaged by the elements. And, the six-sided design also allows more birds to feed at one time.
- GREY PLASTIC CLASSIC BIRD FEEDER: Attract birds searching for food. Let birds inhabit and enjoy seed food, then you could see birds from windows, decks or terraces.
- CONSIDERATE DESIGN: Comes fully assembled and ready to hang. With its hexagon shape, the bird feeder features an inclined roof to shade birds from the sun and rain. When the seeds are eaten, more seeds will naturally fill the tray
- LARGE CAPACITY: Holds up to 2.15 lb of seeds. It could be filled with a variety of seeds to attract birds, such as black oil sunflower seeds, safflower seeds to attract red finches, tits, house finches, birds, blue birds, warblers, starlings and more!
- EASY TO FILL & CLEAN: Bird feeder is equipped with a twist lock cover to keep the lid safely closed and the seeds are fresh and dry inside. The clear panels make it easy to inspect seed levels. When it comes to refill, just turn to unlock, lift the lid up and pour seed.
- NOTE: Please check the bird feeder once a week to see if there are insects or fungi, and wash it regularly with mild soap and water solution.
Solution4Patio Homes Garden USA Cedar Bird Feeder
You want a bird feeder that will last for years, and Solution4Patio Homes Garden USA Cedar Bird Feeder is just the one. It’s made of rot-resistant premium cedar, so you know it will weather any storm.
The water-based preservative and stain keep it looking beautiful, while the rust-free hardware means you’ll never have to worry about maintenance. And if that wasn’t enough, there’s a large capacity seed container – 82 oz., in fact – so you can keep your backyard feathered friends well-fed all year long.
Plus, the detachable roof makes cleaning a breeze, and the versatile feeding options allow for both suet and seed for your feathered friends.
- 🐤CEDAR WOODEN DESIGN: Cedar wood smell like a well treat that attracting different kinds of birds. Enjoying the ultimate bird watching experience!
- 🐤HIGH QUALITY: It is very sturdy so would hold up to extremely bad weather. And the maximum load can reach 5.18 pounds.
- 🐤EASY TO USE: Removable roof makes it easy and convenient to refill your bird feeder with fresh seed. Besides, the seed comes out at the bottom to fill both sides of the tray.
- 🐤AMAZING FUNCTIONAL: Roof and sidewalls help keeping water and squirrels out of your bird feeder. And the hollow tray help dissipate moisture and keep the seed free from mold.
- 🐤BEST SERVICE: We offer a 1-YEAR WARRANTY and providing exceptional quality products and top notch customer service! Excellent purchase!
Hanizi Bird Feeders for Outside, Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
You’ll love how this squirrel-proof bird feeder keeps pesky critters from raiding your seed supply. The slanted roof protects birds from the sun and rain, while the lock on the roof prevents squirrels from getting in
Plus, the versatile feeding options of suet cages and hopper will attract more varieties of birds to your yard. It even comes fully assembled and ready to hang!
- Hanizi Bird Feeder: We focus on researching and developing wild bird feeders, squirrel proof birds feeders for outside hanging. Lightweight build, durable metal rope, and a twist lock that deters squirrels.
- Easy to Use: Open the lid, put the wild bird seeds, sunflower seeds for birds into the bird feeder, close the lid, and then hang the bird feeder under the eaves or in the garden.
- Large Capacity: 8.5 x 7.9 x 7.3 inches. Made of durable, high quality plastic. The clear plastic make it easy to inspect bird seed levels. Hold up to 47 oz bird seeds. Large opening allows for easy refills and clean.
- Clever Design: Inclined roof to help prevent the seeds inside from getting wet. When the seeds are eaten, more seeds will naturally fill the tray. The tray has leaking holes to avoid water accumulation, keep the bird seeds dry.
- Ideal Choice: For your convenience and the health of your garden birds, choose Hanizi wild bird feeder that is easy to fill, empty, and clean. Check the birds feeders once a week and wash it regularly with mild soap and water solution. If you have any questions about bird feeders, please feel free to contact us.
Kettle Moraine Recycled Mini Moraine Hopper Feeder
You’re going to love this feeder! It’s made of recycled materials, it’s easy to clean, and the wide overhang will keep your birds warm and dry.
Plus, the construction is weatherproof so you can leave it out all year long. And if that’s not enough, it also comes with a perforated base to help keep your bird food fresh.
- Made from Recycled Milk Jugs
- Stainless Steel Screw Construction
- Perfect for No-Mess Seed Blends
- Overall Dimensions: 9.5” wide x 6.5” long x 8” tall
- Perforated Base
What is a hopper bird feeder?
A hopper bird feeder is a type of feeder that uses a gravity-fed system to dispense seeds to the birds. The best hoppers have a wide overhang, which helps keep the birds warm and dry, and are made of durable materials that can withstand bad weather. They also come with a variety of features, like perches or suet cages, that help attract different types of birds.
How often do I need to clean my hopper bird feeder?
Most hopper bird feeders need to be cleaned at least every other week to prevent the growth of bacteria or mold. It’s also important to keep an eye on the feeder to make sure that there is enough seed available at all times, as the birds will become frustrated if they can’t find anything to eat.
What type of birds will I attract with a hopper bird feeder?
A hopper bird feeder can attract a variety of different types of birds, including finches, warblers, titmice, and chickadees. It’s important to keep in mind, however, that not all birds will be attracted to the same type of feeder, so it’s helpful to do some research on the types of birds that live in your area and consider using more than one type of bird feeder.
How long will it take for me to attract birds with a hopper bird feeder?
It can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for birds to start frequenting a new hopper bird feeder. It’s important to be patient and keep an eye on the feeder, as birds may start visiting at different times of the day or week. If there are no birds visiting after a few weeks, it may be necessary to move the feeder to a different location or try a different type of feed.
Conclusion: Best hopper Bird Feeders
Hopper bird feeders are easy to use and have a variety of features that make them appealing for anyone looking to attract birds. They can also be challenging as they need regular maintenance, may not work well in certain weather conditions, or if there is an animal threat at your home (like squirrels).
The best hoppers help with those problems by being durable, weather-resistant, and sturdy. They also come with a variety of additional features that can make them more desirable for those looking to add bird feeders to their yards. The five feeders featured in this article should work well for any backyard bird enthusiast. Happy bird feeding!